Country Facts


Mexico City


761,600 sq miles

Time Zone

Mexico City, Mexico ‎(UTC-5)‎


126 million


Mexican Peso

Flight Time

11 hours, 40 minutes

Mexico: Paradise Awaiting To Be Explored

At the Earth Trip we have a team of professionals with considerable knowledge and first hand expertise in putting together tailor made arrangements for the places you are planning to visit.

Mexico has something for everyone – wonderful gastronomy, friendly people, fantastic beaches,  ancient civilisations, well-preserved colonial cities, spectacular festivals and vibrant music.

Top Recommendation: The Mayan Trail from Mexico City to the Riviera Maya, taking in the ancient site of Palenque and the impressive pyramid and complex Chichen Itza before a few days relaxation on the Caribbean coast.


Reasons to visit Mexico

– Pre-Colombian civilisations:

  • Mayas
  • Aztecs
  • Toltecs
  • Zapotecs

– Adventures:

  • Whale-watching
  • Copper Canyon Train
  • Diving and snorkelling
  • Extreme sports

– Colonial Cities:

  • Oaxaca
  • San Miguel de Allende
  • Queretaro
  • Guadalajara

– Experiences:

  • Mexican Gastronomy
  • Mexican World Heritage
  • Day of the Dead Festival
  • Sunshine and Beaches

Preparing For A Trip To Mexico?

Visa Information / Entry requirements to Mexico


This page reflects the UK government’s understanding of current rules for people travelling on a full ‘British Citizen’ passport from the UK, for the most common types of travel.

The authorities in Mexico set and enforce entry rules. If you’re unsure how Mexico’s entry requirements apply to you, contact its UK embassy, high commission or consulate.’

All travellers

Length of authorised stay

If entering Mexico as a tourist, an immigration official will determine the number of days you can remain in Mexico and stamp it in your passport. You do not have an automatic right to the 180-day maximum stay possible for tourists. You should refer to the “Temporalidad” stamped on your passport to check the duration you have been granted. The Mexican authorities have the right to detain individuals who exceed the duration of stay granted.

If you’re fully vaccinated

There are no COVID-19 specific entry requirements regardless of COVID-19 vaccination status.

Proof of vaccination status

You don’t need to provide proof of your vaccination status for entry to Mexico.

Testing / screening on arrival

If you present symptoms of COVID-19 upon arrival at an airport in Mexico, you should ask for the International Health Team (“Sanidad Internacional”).

If you’re not fully vaccinated

There are no COVID-19 specific entry requirements regardless of COVID-19 vaccination status.

If you’ve had COVID-19 in the past year

There are no specific entry requirements if you have had COVID-19 in the past year.

Children and young people

There are no COVID-19 specific immigration requirements for children and young people.

If you’re transiting through Mexico

Transiting is when you pass through one country on the way to your final destination.

There are no COVID-19 specific transit requirements regardless of COVID-19 vaccination status.

Check your passport and travel documents before you travel

You should check with your travel provider to make sure your passport and other travel documents meet their requirements.

Passport validity

If you are visiting Mexico, your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay in Mexico.


If you’re visiting Mexico as a tourist you don’t need a visa. You’ll receive a stamp in your passport with the number of days that you are allowed to stay. If you require a digital version, you can obtain it here Portal de Servicios INM, or online in advance from the National Institute of Immigration website. Due to the requirements of the online system, the advance option is only possible if your passport is valid for at least 6 months from your intended date of entry to Mexico.

To leave the country, you will have to present your passport with the stamp showing the number of days granted. If you lose your passport, you will need to pay a fee to replace the entry stamp. The cost of a replacement is approximately $600 Mexican Pesos, which is payable at a bank, migration officers do not accept cash. You can do it at the immigration office at any international airport in Mexico.

There have been reports of bogus immigration officers operating within international airports. You should always refuse offers of help and head directly to the immigration office.

If you’re crossing the border into Mexico from the US, there may not be an immigration officer at the port of entry. If not, you’ll need to identify the nearest immigration office and clear your immigration status before you continue your journey into Mexico. The immigration office can usually be found close to the border area, and customs officials at the border should be able to tell you where to find it. If you fail to clear immigration at this point, it is often more complicated to do so once you have left the border area. Employment, voluntary work, research and eco activities.

Tourists are not allowed to undertake voluntary (including human rights) work, or activity, or any form of paid employment. If you wish to carry out this type of work, you must get the correct visa from the Mexican Embassy before you travel.

You may need a visa to undertake certain adventure or eco-tourism activities like caving, potholing or entomology, especially if they involve any scientific or technological research. The Mexican authorities may define scientific or technological research activities far more broadly than other countries. If you are in any doubt, check with the Mexican Embassy in London well in advance of your visit and ask for written confirmation if necessary.

It is no longer possible to switch immigration status in-country. You can’t enter Mexico on a tourist visa and then change it for a work visa. You must apply at the Mexican Consulate of your normal place of residence in plenty of time before you are due to travel.

Proof of accommodation and onward travel

Immigration officials at the port of entry may ask to see proof of your departure plans from Mexico before allowing you entry to the country. They can also ask to see proof of your booked accommodation, as well as funds to cover your intended stay while in Mexico.

If you have been invited to stay in someone’s home, immigration officials may also ask for a “letter of invitation” from the person you are visiting. This should include as much information as possible, including the host and traveller’s full names and contact details, address while in Mexico and reason for visit.

Customs and border control

You must fill in an online form prior to travelling to Mexico if you have any goods to declare. If you do not declare goods, these may be seized and you may be fined. For information on restricted goods and how to declare goods, you should read the guidance from the Mexican government.

Travelling with children

The Mexican authorities have suspended the rules which came into effect in May 2011 requiring children under 18 years of age travelling alone, or accompanied by an adult who is not the parent or legal guardian, to apply for a special permit to leave the country. These rules now only apply to Mexican nationals or foreigners with dual Mexican nationality. The accompanying adult may, however, be asked to provide evidence of his or her relationship with the child.

Although there is currently no specific requirement for authorisation by an absent parent, single parents who are not, or who appear not to be, the child’s parent (eg if they have a different family name) may be asked to show evidence of their relationship with the child and the reason why they are travelling with the child. This evidence could include a birth or adoption certificate, divorce or marriage certificates, or a Parental Responsibility Order.

Travelling to or from Mexico via the US

If you are travelling to Mexico via the US, even if you are only transiting, check the latest US entry requirements at travel advice for the USA and/or with the US Embassy in London. If you don’t have the correct authorisation you will not be allowed to travel to or transit through the US.

The land border between Mexico and the US is now open for travellers going to the US who have been vaccinated with WHO approved COVID vaccines. The closure will still be in effect for non-vaccinated travellers and applies primarily to tourism and recreational travel. Cargo, trade and healthcare workers are still able to cross the border. Check with your closest US Embassy/Consulate for more information.

Departure tax

You may need to pay a departure tax when leaving Mexico by air or land. The cost can vary and some airports or border crossings only accept payment in cash. Most airlines include the cost within the ticket price. If in doubt, check with your airline or tour operator.

Entry tax for the State of Quintana Roo

As of 1 April 2021, the State of Quintana Roo charges a tax for all tourists visiting the state. Tourists can make the payment before or during their stay. Proof of payment must be presented at the airport prior to departure. The payment can be made on the VISITAX web portal, available in English. Assistance with the web portal is also available at Cancun Airport.

Importing meat or dairy products

You can’t bring meat or dairy products into Mexico from the UK.

Travelling with a UK Emergency Travel Document

UK Emergency Travel Documents (ETDs) should be valid for a minimum period of 6 months from the date of entry into Mexico and are accepted for entry, airside transit and exit from Mexico. You should also check the requirements for any country that you are transiting through. All tourists, including holders of ETDs will need a stamp to leave the country. If you lose your passport with the original stamp, you will need a new one. You can get it replaced at the immigration office at any international airport in Mexico.

Show More

Tourism Health Information – Mexico


If you have a health condition, or you are pregnant, you may need specialist healthcare abroad. Check whether your destination country can provide the healthcare you may need and ensure you have appropriate travel insurance for unexpected medical evacuation or local treatment.

See the Coronavirus travel health and Healthcare sections in the Coronavirus page for COVID-19 health information.

At least 8 weeks before your trip, check the latest country-specific health advice from the National Travel Health Network and Centre (NaTHNaC) on the TravelHealthPro website. Each country-specific page has information on vaccine recommendations, any current health risks or outbreaks, and factsheets with information on staying healthy abroad. Guidance is also available from NHS (Scotland) on the FitForTravel website.

General information on travel vaccinations and a travel health checklist is available on the NHS website. You may then wish to contact your health adviser or pharmacy for advice on other preventive measures and managing any pre-existing medical conditions while you’re abroad.

The legal status and regulation of some medicines prescribed or purchased in the UK can be different in other countries. If you’re travelling with prescription or over-the-counter medicine, read this guidance from NaTHNaC on best practice when travelling with medicines. For further information on the legal status of a specific medicine, you’ll need to contact the embassy, high commission or consulate of the country or territory you’re travelling to.

While travel can be enjoyable, it can sometimes be challenging. There are clear links between mental and physical health, so looking after yourself during travel and when abroad is important. Information on travelling with mental health conditions is available in our guidance page. Further information is also available from the National Travel Health Network and Centre (NaTHNaC).

Health risks

UK health authorities have classified Mexico as having a risk of Zika virus transmission. For more information and advice, visit the National Travel Health Network and Centre website.

On arrival in Mexico City and other high altitude areas, you may feel a lack of energy, shortness of breath or headaches. This NaTHNaC factsheet includes advice on how to reduce the risk of altitude sickness and what to do if you develop symptoms.

High levels of air pollution can occur in Mexico City and may aggravate heart, lung or respiratory conditions. Children, the elderly and those with pre-existing medical conditions may be especially affected. You can check the pollution index levels for many cities in real time.

Drink only boiled or bottled water and avoid ice in drinks.

In the last 3 years there has been an increase in reported cases of a food and water bug, cyclospora, affecting travellers returning from Mexico, particularly from the Riviera Maya region between the months of May and June. You should follow the advice of the National Travel Health Network and Centre.

Local medical care

Not all hospitals will agree to deal directly with medical insurance companies. You should be prepared to pay for treatment yourself up front and then seek a refund. Make sure you have adequate travel health insurance and accessible funds to cover the cost of any medical treatment abroad and repatriation.

Cases of Chikungunya virus have been confirmed in Mexico. For more details about this outbreak, see the website of the National Health Network and Centre. You should take steps to avoid being bitten by mosquitoes.

If you need emergency medical assistance during your trip, dial 911 and ask for an ambulance. In Mexico City, you can also use the emergency buttons on CCTV cameras visible across the city which will immediately connect you to the emergency services. You should contact your insurance/medical assistance company promptly if you are referred to a medical facility for treatment.

Many pharmacies in large cities provide 24/7 service, as well as home deliveries of medication. Any prescription issued outside of Mexico will require a translation into Spanish. It is ultimately up to the individual local pharmacy whether they will accept a foreign prescription or not. However, many pharmacies in Mexico also have an onsite GP who can assess a patient and prescribe medication if required.

Show More

Weather & When To Go To Mexico


Mexico City stands at an altitude of 2309 m (7575 ft) above sea level so temperatures are cooler than you will find at lower altitudes and on either the Pacific or the Caribbean coast.

The wet season throughout the country is June to the end of October/start of November which also coincides with the hurricane season in the Yucatan peninsula and the Caribbean.  This is also the warmest time of the year.

Along the Pacific coast, daytime temperatures vary between 29 and 32 degrees Celsius according to season with a minimum of 20 to 24. With scant, if any, rainfall between November and May, there are 6-12 wet days per month the rest of the year.

In Mexico City there may be a minimum of 6-11 degrees between November and April, maximums of 19-25 and between 3 and 6 wet days per month, contrasting with 10-13 minimums, 23-26 maximums and around 18 wet days  per month in the rainiest months of July-Sept.

In the Yucatan day time temperatures soar to 33 or 34 degrees during the summer months of June-October, with minimums of 22-23 Celsius and 10-12 wet days per month. In the dry season, between November and May, temperatures are a more manageable maximum of 28-32 degrees with minimums of 17-19 and between just 1 and 4 wet days per month.

Read More On Visas

Tailor-Made Holidays

At The Earth Trip we will design and plan your personalised itinerary according to the exact requirements of your trip. Whether you prefer to be on a mountaintop or under a waterfall; wake up in the middle of a jungle or have a picnic with locals in the tea plantations – we select the accommodation and activities in order to suit not only your preferences, but also your budget.

Discover Tailor-Made